The Essentials Part Deux
A few weeks ago I talked about the makeup essentials. But I want to get a little more specific. Everyone has different skin and different preferences, so everyone’s essentials will be a little bit different. For today, let’s talk about different skin types.
The essentials mentioned before were aimed at normal skin. But most people have dry or oily skin.
If you have dry skin:
- Invest in a really good moisturizing primer. At Dollface, we LOVE Embryolisse products. Their 24 Hour Miracle Cream is a moisturizer/primer/makeup remover in one. Read more about it in Jules’ blog here /blog/2012/3/12/24-hour-miracle-cream.html
(You can check out their products here http://www.embryolisseusa.com/products)
- Choose a hydrating foundation. If you have dry skin, you don’t have to shy away from oil-based foundations.
- Forego the powder and stick to cream blush. Powder will dry your face further, so if you really need it for setting your makeup, try a hydrating powder like Revlon Colorstay Aqua Mineral Finishing Powder. It feels fantastic on the skin!
Also, make sure you’re moisturizing nightly and exfoliating regularly to remove dry patches of skin.
If you have oily skin:
- Choose a shine control primer. Embryolisse makes a moisturizer/shine control primer called Hydra Mat Emulsion. Also, makeup brands that are targeted towards African-American skin, like Black Radiance, make great oil-control primers. We like Black Radiance Complexion Perfection Shine Control Primer.
- Pick an oil-free foundation. Lots of foundations now are oil- free and easy to find.
- Use a shine-control finishing powder. I LOVE Urban Decay’s De-Slick Mattifying Pressed Powder, but for something a little more affordable, Maybelline’s Oil Control Loose Powder is a great option.
Remember, just because your skin is oily doesn’t always mean it’s properly hydrated. Use a cream moisturizer at night, and a gel formula in the day to minimize that sticky feeling.
Until next time, dolls!